Common name(s) Mustard.
Toxin(s) Mustard oils including isothiocyanate and betaphenyl isothiocyanate.
Toxic part(s) Mostly the roots and the seeds.
Signs The toxins are very irritating to the eyes and mucous membranes. ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (sometimes bloody). If the toxin should gain access to the eye, permanent blindness may result. Contact with the skin will cause blistering and burning with intense pruritus and self -mutilation.
Treatment Treatment involves gastrointestinal decontamination including induction of emesis (p. 50) or gastric lavage as necessary. Activated charcoal is recommended. Dermal exposure is treated by bathing the affected area with a mild shampoo and copious rinsing. Mustard oil in the eye should be treated by copious irrigation of the eye with water or saline. Gastrointestinal disturbances (vomiting, diarrhea) may result in hypovolemia, electrolyte imbalances, and dehydration, which require assessment and treatment.